The theme for this retreat is: a Spiritual Awakening: Opening to the Buddha Within. Join Darren Littlejohn, author of the 12-Step Buddhist and Tysa Fennern for the first annual 12-Step Buddhist Winter Retreat at Breitenbush Hot Springs in Oregon. Tysa and Erin will coordinate some women's activities. The retreat is open to anyone – you do not have to be an addict or Buddhist to participate. We'll explore principles of 12-Step recovery and methods from Zen and Tibetan Buddhism, as well as the popular Aspects of Self dialog process. Join us as we foster spiritual recovery in the rustic but comfortable mountain setting.* The retreat is priced as low as possible. We don't control the lodging options. Details explained below.
NOTE: REGISTRATION CLOSES THURSDAY MIDNIGHT PST – NO DROP-INS WILL BE AVAILABLE
There is a rideshare program from Breitenbush. Please check their website with this login:
The rideshare site is only intended for Breitenbush guests and staff. We also have two people with some space in their cars. Email Darren for the hook up. It takes about 2 hours from SE Portland to get up there. Maybe a bit longer if it's snowing. Chains are required at that time of year.
Registration and Deposit
To keep costs down, all registration will be handled by us. To secure your place, please try to make full payment using the PayPal drop-down menu below.
Alternately, make a deposit of $100. As of Dec 29th no deposits can be accepted – only full payment. Please indicate your lodging option. All lodging options are first come, first serve.
ALL fees must be paid in full by 7 days prior to the retreat – Thursday Dec 31st is the last day to pay your balance before your spot is given up.
Note: Don't contact Breitenbush for registration. To keep costs down, we're handling it ourselves. See the Breitenbush website for facility details, map, directions, etc. There is bedding (pillows and blankets) available for $16 through the lodge for the weekend or you can bring your own. Please email Darren Littlejohn for specifics about this retreat.
Refunds and Cancellations
We are committed to the spots we reserve with the facility.
- Deposits are non-refundable.
- The deadline for all refunds was December 15th
- All retreat and lodging fees must be paid in full by Midnight, Dec. 31st. (The reason for this is that we have to pay for the beds. If we don't have your registration fees to do that, we have to release them. Otherwise we have to pay for the beds out of pocket.)
- If you have a balance owed please send it directly from PayPal to email@example.com. If you have a balance, please get it in by Midnight Dec. 31st or you will lose your spot!
Lodging and Retreat Totals
NOTE: If you are sending a deposit only, please indicate your lodging choice. See below for lodging descriptions and what is included.
- Dorm+retreat=$122+$100=$222 total
- Cabin\no bath+retreat=$160+$100=$260 total
- Cabin w\bath+retreat=$192+$100=$292 total
We'll post a complete schedule with all meetings, topics and other events in the main meeting hall. Everyone will get a copy on check-in as well. Until then, please see the Tentative Retreat Schedule.
- Women's, men's and mixed meetings
- Guided and silent meditations, some mantra chanting
- Aspects of Self Dialogs on a theme related to addiction/recovery/Dharma
- Midnight Meditations Friday and Saturday nights!
- Optional Writing Exercises – bring your own notebook for journaling/inventory work.
- Spiritual Topic Book Basket – bring a book for the topic grab bag. All books will be returned to their owners
- Bring an item for the altar; sobriety chip, photo of an ancestor, sacred statue, flowers, incense, lights/candles, Buddha images. Everything will be returned on Sunday.
- Morning Yoga (depending on availability of teacher)
- Fun and Games Friday and Saturday after groups
- Hot Tubbing in the Natural Springs – Full Access
Note: We've kept the costs as low as possible for this event. Retreat fees are per person, for the entire weekend, plus Breitenbush lodging (calculated daily per person).
Retreat Cost not including lodging: $100
Lodging includes: Vegetarian meals; Friday dinner, 3 meals on Saturday, breakfast and optional lunch on Sunday and 24 hour access to natural hot springs, Breitenbush staff planned activities.
Lodging Options as of December 29th (subject to change):
* 1 female dorm
* 1 male bed no toilet
* 1 female bed no toilet
* 2 mixed beds w/ toilet (full cabin avail)
* 3 mixed beds no toilet (full cabin avail)
TOTAL: 8 spaces left. We've sold out 3 times and have requested the last of our additional beds. After Thursday, Dec. 31st at Midnight registration will be CLOSED.
Dorm – Men's dorms: FULL. There is 1 female bed open. First come, first serve basis. The dorm is a little walk down from our cabin area. Dorm cost is $61 per night for 2 nights = $122 for one more day.
Cabins – all cabins are geothermally heated and fully enclosed with 2-3 beds.
Shared Cabin with outside toilet access – $80 per night for 2 nights = $160
Shared Cabin with private sink and toilet inside – $96 per night for 2 nights = $192
Reserved for disabled persons – the lodge room is nearby the main area and is not as quiet but is wheelchair accessible. However, not all of the areas of Breitenbush are easily accessed by wheelchair. For questions about access please call the facility. Note: All registration will be managed by Darren Littlejohn, so please don't ask Breitenbush staff about retreat details.